Monday, May 3, 2010

podsafe: Why there is so much music on my technology show

I'll be putting on my first full length one hour BlogTalkRadio show this evening, Monday May 3rd.  The show will run at 6 PM  and can be reached at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/larryfeltonj

The main topic is the SCO series of lawsuits which has been of such interest to the Linux and free software community (or at least it was until SCO went into full tilt Wile E. Coyote mode and began losing court battle after court battle).

But in addition to the discussion of SCO listeners may notice that I will be including  a lot of music in the show, from a number of genres.

There are three reasons for this.

First, I like music, and it's my show, so I can indulge myself in that interest to my heart's content. 

Secondly, technology blogs and technology shows are a dime a dozen.  If I can't make the show (and this blog) really "Off the Beaten Path" my readers and listeners will  be much better off just sticking to slashdot, Ars Technica, and the other hundred or so news and news aggregation sites.  Music, interviews with interesting people, and truly unique (preferably exclusive) stories are a few ways I intend to explore to avoid the show becoming the pathetic spectacle of me droning on about why I like perl, or drupal, or linux.

Most importantly, however, there is a substantial and important movement out there to make podsafe music available, and I support and intend to participate in that movement. Podsafe music is music which can be used freely on podcasts on the web.  It's the rough equivalent of Free Software, although the actual licensing of podsafe music covers a wide range, from
Free Music, the equivalent of Free Software in the GNU sense of the word), music licensed under Creative Commons, to public domain works.

The relevant thing to me is that I can freely use this music on my show, and I intend to do so.

I'll be talking about podsafe and free music on future shows.

In the meantime here's a link to the Free Music Archive, one of the sources of podsafe music.

No comments:

Post a Comment